Summits & VIP Visits
New START Treaty Signing (Prague, Czech Republic, April 8, 2010)
President Obama and President Medvedev of Russia signed the New START treaty and its protocol. PDF versions of these documents are available here: the Treaty and the Protocol. After signing these documents, both presidents gave remarks and answered questions.
The President then attended a ceremonial lunch hosted by Czech President Vaclav Klaus for Presidents Obama and Medvedev. The final event of the day for the President was a dinner for Central and Eastern European heads of state and heads of government of: Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, Lithuania, Slovenia, Poland, the Slovak Republic, Latvia, Estonia, Romania, and the Czech Republic. The President takes this opportunity to have multilateral discussion with these 11 close allies of the United States and discuss a range of issues from the global economy to European security. On April 9, the President attended a bilateral meeting with Czech President Klaus and Prime Minister Fischer, before returning to Washington and landing that night.
- 04/08/10 Remarks by President Obama and President Medvedev of Russia at New START Treaty Signing Ceremony and Press Conference
- 04/07/10 Secretary Clinton's Op-Ed: Our Giant Step Towards a World Free from Nuclear Danger
- 03/29/10 New START Treaty and the Obama Administration's Nonproliferation Agenda; Under Secretary for Arms Control and International Security Ellen Tauscher; Washington, DC
- 03/26/10 Announcement of the New START Treaty; James S. Brady Press Briefing Room; Washington, DC
- 03/15/10 Interview with Yevgenia Albats, The New Times; Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton; Washington, DC
- 03/04/10 Ask the Under Secretary: The START Treaty and Other Issues; Under Secretary for Arms Control and International Security Ellen Tauscher; Washington, DC
- 12/04/09 U.S.-Russia Joint Statement on Expiration of the START Treaty; Bureau of Public Affairs, Office of the Spokesman; Washington, DC
- 04/01/09 Joint Statement Regarding Negotiations on Further Reductions in Strategic Offensive Arms
Fact Sheets and Press Releases
- 04/08/10 Secretary Clinton Outlines Nuclear Security Strategy in International Op-Ed
- 04/08/10 White House Blog: A New START in Prague
- 10/01/09 START Aggregate Numbers of Strategic Offensive Arms (PDF 119 KB)
- 04/01/09 START Aggregate Numbers of Strategic Offensive Arms (PDF 123 KB)
- New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) (PDF 465 KB) (Signed in Prague, April 8, 2010)
- Protocol to the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) (PDF 4 MB) (Signed in Prague, April 8 2010)
- Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) (Signed in Moscow, July 31, 1991)
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.