Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Veterinary Services

In Moscow there are many veterinarian clinics to choose from. Russian veterinarians, however, generally do not speak English or provide all services traditionally available in America.

If you need to take a pet with you out of Russia, you must provide evidence that your pet is healthy enough to travel. For small pets, including birds, a licensed Russian veterinarian can produce a simple health certificate. However, dogs and cats over the age of six months can be certified healthy only if they have been vaccinated against rabies at least one month prior to travel. Then, no more than three days before departure, a licensed veterinarian must examine your pet's reaction to the vaccine in order to issue a certificate of health.

Below are some phone numbers where you can obtain information on taking pets in or out of Russia.

Department of Environmental Protection
Wild animals and birds
Phone: 127-8410 Russian or 254-6733, 254-8601 English

Department of Veterinary
Pets and "home" birds
Phone: 207-8386 English or 975-5929 Russian

If there is any question about the intrinsic breeding value of your dog or cat, you must obtain a certificate of pedigree from the appropriate Moscow breeder's club (telephone 159-1805 / 132-0003 for cats or telephone 459-0903/0003 for dogs.

Upon departure, Russian Customs Agents will levy export duties based on the pedigree certificate issued from the breeder's club, if applicable. Also, when you reach the border you will have to submit your pet's health certificate to the Custom's Service veterinarian (where available) and they will produce an International Health Certificate for a fee.

Note: The veterinary office at Sheremyetevo-II airport (telephone 578-7653) is located on the second floor and currently charges 207.64 rubles approximately $8 to issue an international health certificate in English. The Embassy does not have any information as to the cost and availability of this service at other border points throughout Russia.

Cats and dogs must be free of evidence of diseases communicable to humans to be allowed entry into the United States. Vaccination against rabies is not required for cats or dogs arriving from rabies-free countries. Personally-owned pet birds may be quarantined in accordance with APHIS and Public Health Services requirements. For further information, the Embassy suggests you contact the U.S. Customs office at your intended port of entry.

Aibolit Clinic 5a Ulitsa Butlerova Tel.: 338-1700
Belyy Klyk Ulitsa Krasnaya Presnya 6/2 Tel.: 223-3425
Centre Veterinary Clinic Tsvetnoy Boul. 11, Str. 1 Tel.: 921-6376/6565,
Fax: 921-6376
Eurovet International Ltd. Raskovoy Ul., Dom 26/29 Tel.: 213-3929
Fax 214-5400
Ideal Borisoglebsky Per. 9 Tel.: 290-5229
Movet Vasily Kozhinov Ul., Dom 23 Tel.: 142-0105/0104
Professional Cinological Center "Zabota" No listing Tel.: 125-3506
Veterinarian Center Polikarpova Ul. 10 Tel.: 946-0144
Veterinarian Clinic Vasilisy Kozhinoy Ul. 23 Tel.: 142-0104,
Fax: 142-0105
Veterinarian Clinic Rossolimo, Dom 15 Tel.: 301-0504
Veterinarian Station North-Eastern District Kondratyuka Ul. 7 Tel.: 283-4165/4514,
Fax: 283-4514